Author Topic: Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr  (Read 993 times)

Offline lowline

• View Profile
Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »
After years of procrastinating (no it's not an offence here in Canada) I have replaced my old dynamo with a Lucas alternator. Since I know very little about vehicle electrics I followed the enclosed instructions to the letter. My car was converted to negative earth ten years ago.

Join A, A1 and the larger of the two wires on the D terminal together.

Join F to W/L which is apparently the smaller of the two wires on the D terminal.

Connect the larger of the two terminals that went on to the generator/dynamo on to the middle (large) terminal on the alternator.

Connect the smaller terminal to the small terminal on the alternator.

Reconnect the battery and start the engine. The red light will go out at 1500rpm and remain off at all engine speeds.

Everything appears to work except that the red light remains on when the revs drop below 750rpm but goes out above that speed. The only wire from the old regulator that I am left with is a white wire with black tracer which was on the E terminal of the regulator and was apparently to ground the regulator.

Sorry to be so long winded but if anyone can tell me what I have done wrong I will be most grateful.
Regards, Bernie.

Online JD

• Committee Member / Helper
  • JohnDale McAllister
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Hi Bernie, that all sounds fine. Just one query - is the new alternator pulley the correct size.
It may need changing to keep the alternator speed up when at idle,cheers,JD.

Offline lowline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
Hi, JD.

Thanks for your advice but when I said that I knew nothing about electrics, I really meant that I knew nothing.

I used the Enfo pulley from the dynamo that was on the car so I am guessing that I should not have and now need to change the size. When I fit another pulley should I use a bigger one or a smaller one and if you have any idea what size to use then that would be absolutely perfect.

Many thanks,
Bernie.

Online JD

• JohnDale McAllister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
Hi,Bernie, I don't know the exact size but it should be a smaller pully
to keep the alternator speed up. I don't have anything to measure as
the '58 Zephyr is still on the dynamo. This is when you find out if your
supplier is also a friend & lets you borrow different pulleys to try,hi hi.
All the best,JD.

Offline Johnnyanglia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
My car is now running with an alternator which appears to be tight but i am still having problems. I will double check what sort of belt i ended up using.

Offline Johnnyanglia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »
Hi, guys. Lowline PMed me on the Mk2 site regarding my charging problem wondering if i got it sorted. Sorry Lowline but my reply bounced back saying it could not be sent. Super Charlie Welsh did sort it it. When using the electrics the car was drawing amps but not returning them. It turned out that one of the wires attached to the back of the spade terminal was very frayed. Once Charlie cut and recrimped it with a new spade the problem was solved. Thanks again Charlie !

Offline lowline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:22:48 AM »
Thank s very much for the reply and it is great that Charlie was able to get you sorted. He is a very talented man and seems to be able to fix all things electrical for all of you guys over there. Don't ever let him retire from the Club!!

Which particular wire was the cause of the problem as I need all the hints that I can get?

Hope that you have a well deserved Spring and are able to get out and about in the car.
Regards,
Bernie.

Offline CHARLIEFARLAY

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »
Hi Bernie,

It was the heavy wire on the alternator (it would act the same way on a dynamo) the cable has got 28 stands in it and there were only 2 strands in contact with the spade terminal, which would not carry 30 amps (if needed) to the battery, so the lights etc would take power out of the battery and the alternator would not put any power back in, the multimeter would show a increase in voltage and people would think it was charging, but it needs the amps as well, so I put a new spade terminal on the cable and used the proper crimping pliers, as the ones from the auto shops do not crimp the terminal on properly, hope this is of interest  to you and the other members.

Charlie. 

Offline lowline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply, Charlie.

The little I have learned about electrics has been mostly assimilated from your replies solving problems for other members.

Keep the advice coming, you are a tremendous asset to the Club.

Regards,
Bernie.

Offline GeneHunt

• Club Member
    • View Profile
    • MOT Station & Repair Centre
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
Well done agent FARLAY, another mission accomplished  ;), My amp meter problem is the shunt you suggested, I'm now on the case to rectify it.

P.S Have you looked at any Granada Ghia's  ;) ;), and it was nice to meet your missus the other day.

Cheers

Tom