Author Topic: Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr  (Read 203 times)

Offline lowline

• View Profile
Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:00:37 AM »
After years of procrastinating (no it's not an offence here in Canada) I have replaced my old dynamo with a Lucas alternator. Since I know very little about vehicle electrics I followed the enclosed instructions to the letter. My car was converted to negative earth ten years ago.

Join A, A1 and the larger of the two wires on the D terminal together.

Join F to W/L which is apparently the smaller of the two wires on the D terminal.

Connect the larger of the two terminals that went on to the generator/dynamo on to the middle (large) terminal on the alternator.

Connect the smaller terminal to the small terminal on the alternator.

Reconnect the battery and start the engine. The red light will go out at 1500rpm and remain off at all engine speeds.

Everything appears to work except that the red light remains on when the revs drop below 750rpm but goes out above that speed. The only wire from the old regulator that I am left with is a white wire with black tracer which was on the E terminal of the regulator and was apparently to ground the regulator.

Sorry to be so long winded but if anyone can tell me what I have done wrong I will be most grateful.
Regards, Bernie.

Offline JD

• Committee Member / Helper
  • JohnDale McAllister
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Alternator Conversion on Mark 2 Zephyr
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Hi Bernie, that all sounds fine. Just one query - is the new alternator pulley the correct size.
It may need changing to keep the alternator speed up when at idle,cheers,JD.

Offline lowline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
Hi, JD.

Thanks for your advice but when I said that I knew nothing about electrics, I really meant that I knew nothing.

I used the Enfo pulley from the dynamo that was on the car so I am guessing that I should not have and now need to change the size. When I fit another pulley should I use a bigger one or a smaller one and if you have any idea what size to use then that would be absolutely perfect.

Many thanks,
Bernie.

Offline JD

• JohnDale McAllister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
Hi,Bernie, I don't know the exact size but it should be a smaller pully
to keep the alternator speed up. I don't have anything to measure as
the '58 Zephyr is still on the dynamo. This is when you find out if your
supplier is also a friend & lets you borrow different pulleys to try,hi hi.
All the best,JD.

Offline Johnnyanglia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
My car is now running with an alternator which appears to be tight but i am still having problems. I will double check what sort of belt i ended up using.