Author Topic: What are you up to with your car?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Vauxhallbitz

• Committee Member / Helper
    • View Profile
What are you up to with your car?
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
Craig started this thread on the old forum so let's try it again to see if we can get some discussion going on here.

I have just replaced the rear springs and shock absorbers on the Viva and decided to put anti freeze in the cooling system.

I took the car for a spin and it went well so I decided to take it to work the next day. Off I set the next morning and travelled about a mile when the clutch cable snapped, I limped home and when I opened the bonnet there was water everywhere. Looks like the anti freeze has found a weakness in the radiator hence the loss of water.

Oh well back to the drawing board......
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:04:48 PM by Vauxhallbitz »

Offline Admin

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • View Profile
Re: What are you up to with your car?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
Ordered but not fitted yet some new wiper blade refils, bumper bolts all round (old ones started to rust!).

Looking for some decent chrome hubcaps next, repo ones currently fitted have rusted, chrome nowadays is rubbish !

Need to investigate the slightly sticking on handbrake.

I even washed it last week !  :o

Offline tina66

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »
now the bad weather has gone haha. put batteries on charge so this weekend hope to get the cars out :) :)

Offline Graeme

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Where to start, well seven weeks ago a couple of mates and i loaded up with van and trailer, headed north to pick up my new project . its a 1946 fordson van E04C,Very rare van, not many left there are variants of this van but under diffrent guises e493, e494 ect, this van started life in Scotland in the village of arisaig to the west of Fort William ,The van was registered on the 11/11/46 one year to the day ww2 finished, it runs a full blown 8HP 933CC engine and 3 Speed box, this is a project in which my late father and i made the wooden roof struts for nearly 25 years ago,the van through the years has had 3 owners , firstly as stated in arisaig.then in 1959 the van changed hands to forres in invernessshire then in 1985 a friend of mine bought it and stripped it bare ,yes, every nut bolt screw and washer and proceeded to bag every item in buxted chicken bags, yes remember them ? i was offered the van late last year ,due to the seller having ill health and not being able to do the rebuild . GAME ON. 05.30 in the morning we went north collected the van and headed home.axle stands at the ready the van shell was lifted into my garage, then unhitch trailer and unload the towing van axles brakes engine gearbox wheels tyres bits of wiring loom and 30 odd buxted chicken bags containing ?????? allsorts but all the bags were unlabled and in some cases unrecognisable due to being bagged some 20 odd years earlier ,but thanks to fraser who mostly preaches the griffin type logo ,knows what ford parts look like from the era of 1946 coz he was 10 then .jokin aside we have had many a coversation on the phone to ask where does that go ,this go ?, but 9/10 times he has come good , young" charlie the spark", was through and the wiring was laid out on the kitchen table and made ready to fit with a few extra lines added , fast forward to today ,axles and brakes ,done. engine and gearbox, done. stainless exhaust, done . wiring 95% done . the van is running still on axle stands,. first startup in nearly 35 yrs it really made me smile when it burst into life first pull of the starter switch, yes its a cable operated switch, the van is hopefully going to come out the garage on drive it day on its own steam, that was a target that billy mcluckie and myself joked about seven or eight weeks ago. im not doing a tour of the lothians just yet, but out the garage on its own steam ,park up and get a bloody good wash,, well must head out to the garage theres a target to meet ....sunday the 22nd, oh and as my mates are saying ...if you want to go to newtonmore with graeme you will have to leave on thursday for te show on sunday . Thanks to everyone for their assistance when required .Graeme

Offline BSV205F

• Club Member
  • Joined this club in 1981 aged 18...and still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
What a brilliant interesting story Graeme and well done  8) 8)
Ford Cortina 1600E Owner since 1981 with:-
BSV205F             VVA450H          RRC454F
(not forgetting in early 90's had Ford Orion 1600E reg F720UJS)

Offline tina66

• Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:43:55 PM »
nice to see you got a motor to suit your mobility needs , Newtonmore awaits along with a special site :D 8)

Offline Vauxhallbitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:33:02 PM »
Keep going Mr. Bryce you are doing an amazing job bringing this van back to life, life in the slow lane will suit you just fine..........

Offline Vauxhallbitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
New clutch cable fitted airlock in water system fixed(?) road test tonight then, all being well MOT at the weekend........

Offline Vauxhallbitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »
Oh well to good to be true, now losing water through the radiator overflow.......

Online GeneHunt

• Club Member
    • View Profile
    • MOT Station & Repair Centre
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
Noticed Admin needs some hub caps, I have a set of sixties Ford hub caps and cross hatch trims in not bad condition if any good

Tom

Offline Vauxhallbitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:37:50 PM »
New thermostat fitted will refill tomorrow and try again hopefully this will sort it.

Offline Admin

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:33:34 AM »
Noticed Admin needs some hub caps, I have a set of sixties Ford hub caps and cross hatch trims in not bad condition if any good

Tom

Thanks Tom

Can you post a few pics ? Nice challenge  :D

Craig